CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM)
The CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management project, better known as CARM is a multi-year initiative that will transform the importation process. Through CARM, clients will have access to the Client Portal—an innovative self-service tool that will modernize how the trade community interacts with the CBSA.
May 25th, 2021
CARM Client Portal Goes Live with Basic Functionality
- Importers will need to register and obtain a business number if they do not already have one
- The portal will allow importers to delegate authority to their customs broker
- Users can also manage account data, view statements of accounts and make payments
Expected June 2022
Full CARM Client Portal Functionality Is Available
- Importers will need to secure a bond
- New commercial accounting declarations (CAD) process introduced
- Corrections and adjustments will be allowed
- A harmonized billing cycle will be set up
CARM Release 1
When the CARM Client Portal goes live, importers, customs brokers, and trade consultants will be able to have access.
The CARM Client Portal will feature:
- The ability to set up a Pre-authorized Debit (PAD) to remit payment in addition to credit card or Automated Clearing House (ACH) withdrawal from financial institutions as well as most current payment methods
- Statements of Account (SOAs) and basic client transaction information available online
- The ability to delegate access to business accounts
- Rulings requests
- Classification tools
Actions Required by our Clients:
Set up with the government personally
Each employee requiring access must set up personally with a GC Key on the CARM Portal.
Set up your business on the CARM Portal
- This person is normally someone in authority in the company – usually in the accounting department dealing with payments to the government but can be anyone with authority to act on behalf of the company.
- This first person will become the Business Account Manager (BAM) and it is recommended by CBSA that one or more other employees also be assigned a BAM authorization.
- You can designate any employees to have access with edit or read-only access.
You must grant access to your Customs Broker as a BAM in order that we may do business with you.
Further information on how these steps are done will be sent in May.