Border Brokers

Ensure your vehicle is admissible into Canada

  • Vehicle must be unmodified and clear of any recalls
  • Obtain an ITN and file AES
  • Enter Canada and pay taxes or duties
  • Pass inspection by RIV within 45 days

Benefits of Choosing Border Brokers

Dedicated Vehicles Team

Our team of vehicle import specialists in both Canada and the U.S. tackle the process from both sides of the border.

Automotive Expertise

From passenger cars to semi-cabs, Border Brokers has you covered and can tailor our service to your needs regardless of vehicle.

Import Quickly and Confidently

We understand the time constraints associated with importing vehicles. Let us handle the process and your questions so you can import with peace of mind.

FAQs About Importing a Vehicle to Canada

  • Must my vehicle be free of all recalls?

    Yes. You will need to provide a recall clearance letter from the manufacturer.

  • At what age does my vehicle become exempt from RIV?

    15 years.

  • What happens if my vehicle has a recall?

    If you plan to import a vehicle from the United States with an open recall for which parts are not yet available, you will not be able to complete the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) import process until any defects identified are corrected. We suggest you obtain and validate recall clearance documentation with the RIV before you decide to import.

  • Do I need a physical Form 1/K84?

    CBSA has updated their system to allow for electronic submissions to Transport Canada/RIV. Your case number will be e-mailed to you from RIV shortly after the vehicle crosses. You can use this e-mail to pay your RIV fee, submit recall clearance letter and obtain an inspection form.

  • What modifications do I need for my vehicle?

    Each class of vehicle has a specific set of criteria which must be met in order to comply with Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). Some vehicles manufactured for distribution in the U.S. market may already meet some of these criteria and will require less modification, while others may require more. Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States provides details on modification requirements for specific vehicle types, makes and models.

  • Do I need the original title at time of crossing?

    Yes. The title, bill of sale, and AES record will need to be presented to US Customs at time of crossing. A CBP officer will stamp the title to indicate it has been properly exported. This will be required by your local registration office to register the vehicle.


We help businesses and individuals get cross border shipments cleared. Ready to experience the Border Brokers difference? Our team is standing by, ready to help.