Border Brokers

Ensure your vehicle is admissible into the U.S.

  • Prepare documents like bill of lading, bill of sale, registration, and other relevant documents
  • Compliant with EPA and DOT
  • Undercarriage free of foreign soil
  • Arrange with an RI to make modifications to nonconforming vehicles
  • Register your vehicle with a U.S. titling service

Benefits of Choosing Border Brokers

FMVSS Compliance

Our years of expertise ensure that all steps are taken to make your vehicle compliant with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Expertise & Knowledge

Our vehicles team is dedicated to providing the highest industry standards of service when importing vehicles into the U.S.

U.S. Vehicle Lot

Our vehicle lot in Pembina, ND provides a safe and monitored storage area for commercial vehicles during their 30-day holding period.

FAQs About Importing Vehicles to the U.S.

  • Are any vehicles exempt from emission or safety requirements?

    Vehicles imported for personal use by nonresidents, for less than one year; vehicles belonging to members of foreign armed or diplomatic parties; and vehicles imported for testing or demonstration but not to be used on public roads. These vehicles may not be sold in the U.S. but may still require EPA and DOT declarations.

  • What are the DOT and EPA forms I need?

    You will need to complete EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. Vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will declare this on their manufacturer’s label.

  • Can I drive my vehicle into the U.S. myself?

    Yes. This is a common choice for personal importers, however you must declare the entire contents of your vehicle to CBP. Commercial importers are required to place their vehicle in a holding lot for 30 days after importation.

  • Will I have to pay duty on my vehicle?

    While most Canadian-made vehicles are duty-free, generally foreign vehicles are dutiable at the following rates: Auto (2.5%), Trucks (25%), Motorcycles (free or 2.4%). Contact Border Brokers for a specialized quote.

  • Is my vehicle exempt from meeting FMVSS standards?

    Only if your vehicle is older than 25 years.

  • What modifications might I need to make on my vehicle?

    The most common modification for vehicles imported into the U.S. is converting your dashboard speedometer from kilometers per hour to miles per hour.


We help businesses and individuals get cross border shipments cleared. Ready to experience the Border Brokers difference? Our team is standing by, ready to help.